Tuesday 15 November 2016

Leonard Cohen (September 21, 1934 – November 10, 2016) – Rest in Peace

Last year, from September to April, I was part of an East Van community choir called Acapellaboratory. Never sang in a group, never sang in public. Considered myself pretty good at humming to a tune, though! Something brand new. I loved it… and miss it. It lifted my spirits, honestly, throughout the Fall and Winter. Much needed. Our director, Patti Powell, is amazing and chose wonderful songs for us to sing. She introduced me/us to “Anthem”, one of Leonard Cohen’s lesser-known songs. What a powerful piece, and Patti’s original arrangement made it even more so. It was a challenge but it we loved singing it. I began to listen to and appreciate Leonard Cohen’s brilliance.

     “Forget your perfect offering; 
     There is a crack, a crack in everything.
     That’s how the light get’s in.” 
                                                                                 Leonard Cohen, “Anthem”
           
Music is universal, they say. So, too, are the emotions, themes and metaphors often found in poetry. Lyrics and words expressed in an authentic, unique way arising directly from lived experiences of self and others cut across language and culture and make you feel; make you feel connected. Leonard Cohen, through his words and lyrics, connected to his listeners, readers and fans across the world. I’d venture that this wasn’t in spite of his struggles with depression, but probably because of the fact that he embodied those struggles. We’ve talked a great deal about embodiment in our course. And we are reading, hearing and learning a common thread; that connection and being connected has much to do with health, wellness, vitality and self-care.   

Leonard Cohen was a poet, a novelist, a Jew, a songwriter, a lover, a musician, a father, a Bhuddist monk, a friend. His debut album was released the year I was born. His most covered song of all time, released in 1985, is “Hallelujah”. I love kd Lang’s rendition sang at the 2010 opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics. But here’s another of his most well-known songs – “Suzanne.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6zMPLcXZ8

Why did he “touch” so many people so profoundly? I’m just now thinking back to Carmen and her research into the care of cancer patients. She shared how her research is shedding light on the incredible importance and impact of genuine gestures of kindness, warmth and care – a simple smile, a touch on the hand, a leaning in and closer to – gestures that say “I see you.” I wonder if some of the power of Leonard Cohen is that he, too, says “I see you” through his words.

“Seriousness, rather than depression is, I think, the characteristic of my work,” he once told an interviewer. “I like a good laugh but I think there’s enjoyment that comes through seriousness. We all know when we close the door and come into your room and you’re left with your heart and your emotions, it isn’t all that funny.”

Most would say Leonard Cohen was a Canadian treasure. I would venture to say, based on what people have said and are saying about him – and based on his poetry, his lyrics and his being - that he was a treasure to humankind. We certainly need more of this kind of human. Hallelujah.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-12811248


No comments:

Post a Comment